This Emergency First Aid at Work & COVID-19 course is specifically designed for the target audience. It enables a first-aider to give emergency first aid to someone who is injured or becomes ill whilst at work.
It fully meets the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) legislation (www.hse.gov.uk/firstaid).
Although the HSE still hasn’t changed their suggested content of first aid courses, we would like to include some specific COVID -19 first aid content.
By the end of this 1-day course, you should be able to…
- Understand the importance of cross infection
- Know how to don and doff Personal Protective Equipment.
- Identify danger & keep yourself safe
- Perform basic life support of an adult
- Perform basic life support for a suspected COIVD-19 patient
- Safely use an Automatic External Defibrillator (AED)
- Manage a choking patient
- Manage an unconscious patient & the recovery position
- Manage a fitting patient and discuss epilepsy
- Manage a casualty who is wounded, bleeding or suffering from shock.
- Manage minor injuries (including small cuts, grazes and bruises, minor burns and scalds, small splinters).
- Know what to do following a clinical incident
Attendees will be able to use their own individual mannequins and their own individual training defibrillators, thus reducing transmission risk. Upon arrival they will be provided with full Level 2 PPE (Gloves, Surgical face mask, Apron) and they be taught how to put this on, work whilst wearing it and how to take it off.
They will then through the following practical elements: CPR of an adult. CPR of a suspected COVID patient. Safe defibrillation, management of choking, the recovery position, management of bleeding and how to safely take off their PPE following a clinical incident. All of this will be done whilst maintaining 2 meters social distancing.
Suggested 1 day course itinerary:
Sessions will mainly be classroom orientated but with practical demonstrations and instruction throughout.
- Session 1 09:00-10:30 hrs (15 min break)
- Session 2 10:45 – 12:45 hrs (1 hr lunch)
- Session 3 13:45 – 15:15 hrs (15 min break)
- Session 4 15:30 – 17:00 hrs
To pass this course and gain certification attendees will each need to be deemed as competent in all of the topics, so session 4 will be the assessment session.