The HSE recommend that qualified First Aiders and Emergency First Aiders undertake an annual refresher course in order to keep their skills up-to-date.
This First Aid at Work refresher course is specifically designed for the target audience. It fully meets the Health and Safety Executive legislation (www.hse.gov.uk/firstaid). Ideally, the course should be run over two consecutive days, but we have the flexibility to accommodate your specific needs.
By the end of this 2-day course, you should be able to:
1. Identify scene danger & keep yourself safe
2. Perform Basic Life Support of an adult using mouth to mouth, a bag valve mask & basic airway adjuncts
3. Apply and use an Automatic External Defibrillator (AED) safely
4. Manage a choking patient
5. Manage an unconscious patient & the recovery position
6. Manage a fitting patient
7. Administer first aid to a casualty who is wounded and bleeding
8. Administer first aid to a casualty who is suffering from shock
9. Display knowledge of common medical conditions
Suggested 2 day course itinerary:
Sessions will mainly be classroom orientated but with practical demonstrations and instruction throughout.
- Day 1 9:00 - 17:00 hrs
- Session 1 09:00-10:30 hrs (15 min break)
- Session 2 10:45 – 12:45 hrs (1 hr lunch)
- Session 3 13:45 – 15:15 hrs (15 min break)
- Session 4 15:30 – 17:00 hrs
To pass this course and gain certification attendees will each need to be deemed as competent in all of the topics, so session 4 will be the assessment session.
- Day 2
All course participants will be required to attend bespoke, realistic medical scenarios. The purpose of these scenarios is to improve confidence, share good practice & review learning points. They will also improve participant's ability to provide a handover to arriving medical staff and utilise debriefing techniques following a critical incident.