ParamedicsRus take the prevention of suicide seriously.
Paramedics are often the first people to come into contact with those who are trying to take their own life. These suicide attempts can range vastly in their presentation. Paramedics can be instrumental in talking people down from a height, stopping patients from fatally harming themselves and persuading people to attend hospital when they have intentionally taken an overdose. Because of these experiences, paramedics should be among the best people to teach suicide prevention techniques.
In 2016, the founder of ParamedicsRus (Tom Hewes) organised and hosted a ‘Suicide Awareness and Prevention Symposium’. This attracted over 100 attendees where expert speakers delivered a range of talks and answered questions.
In 2018, Tom improved on this by organising and hosting Wales first International Suicide and Self-Harm Prevention Symposium. More than 140 people attended from over 47 organisations.
The suicide prevention course is specifically designed for the target audience. Typically this can be delivered in 1 day, but longer more detailed courses are available on request.
Suggested 1 day course itinerary:
- 0900-1000hrs Classroom based theory session:
- Welcome, registration, sensitivities.
- Aim & structure of the day
- Epidemiology of suicide.
- Who is affected?
- How are people affected?
15 minute break
- 1015-1145hrs Classroom based theory session:
- Effective interventions
- How to de-escalate crisis
15 minute break
- 1200-1300hrs Classroom based theory session
- Law, practical issues & tips
- 1400-1600hrs Scenarios & debriefs - (4 x 20 minute bespoke scenarios)
- Paramedic actors in various locations will play the part of the suicidal person. The scenarios are played out as if real. Upon completion of each incident we will facilitate a group debrief to include all course participants, and the paramedic actors. The aim of these scenarios will be to practise techniques taught in the mornings theory sessions, share good practice and identify learning points. Also, to improve handover and be-briefing techniques
- 1600-1700hrs Classroom based theory session:
- Support networks
- Evaluations, certificates & course closure.